An image gallery displays a collection of thumbnail images that are attached to a particular post or page. Images that are:
- uploaded via the Add an Image button while you are busy creating or editing a post or page will automatically be attached to that particular gallery.
- uploaded directly into the media library from Media -> Add New will need to be attached to a post or page first in order to appear in a gallery.
Here is an example of an image gallery:
How to add a Gallery:
- If you are adding the gallery to a new post or page, make sure you first add a title and save it before trying to insert the gallery. If you are adding the gallery to an existing post or page then simply open that post or page into editing mode.
- Click the Add an Image button.
- Select files that you would like to upload and then click the Save all changes button. You will then be taken to the Gallery tab.
- Customize the settings. (These settings can be changed at a later stage.)
- Click Insert gallery.
How to edit a Gallery:
- Open the post or page with the gallery that you would like to edit and make sure that you are in the Visual editing mode.
- Click on the gallery and then click the Edit Gallery icon that appears.
- Next decide on the order of your images by entering an order number next to each image. If you want to customize the image ordering then make sure you select the Menu order option in the settings.
- Click Show next to each image to change the image’s title, caption, and description.
- Click the Save all changes button before you update any of the other gallery settings!
- Customize your gallery settings:
Link thumbnails to:
- Image File: A direct link to the full size of the uploaded image.
- Attachment Page: A specialized page on your site that shows the image.
Order images by: Menu order, Title, Date/Time, or Random.
Order: Ascending or Descending
Gallery columns: The number of columns of thumbnails to display
- Click the Show/Hide link next to each image to edit its title, caption, and description, or alternatively you can go through the Media Library. You can also use the controls here to place the image in your post separately from the gallery.
- Lastly, click Update gallery settings.* To find the image’s attachment ID, view the specific image in your Media Library and hover over the image’s title. You can find the ID in the URL at the bottom of your screen (the number after attachment_id=).
Battling to create a gallery in your post or page?
Try enter the title and saving it as a draft before you upload any images.